I saw this idea a while ago on Twitter or Pinterest, there are several versions already on the internet, but being massively into gardening with my kids I couldn’t resist having a go at making a grass caterpillar. It was so quick and easy to make, and the fun continues to grow!
- Old tights
- Peat free compost
- A handful of grass seed per caterpillar
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Mix the grass seed and compost together in a bucket and water so that the mixture is moist, but not wet.
- Spoon the grass seed and compost mix into the leg of the old tights.
- Tie a knot at the open end of the tights, to close.
- Tie pieces of sting along the body of the full tight leg / caterpillar to make body segments.
- Glue googly eyes to the face of the caterpillar.
- Insert a pipe cleaner through the head of the caterpillar to make antennae.
7. Place your caterpillar outdoors to benefit from the sunshine and rain, or water regularly if it’s dry.
8. After a few days of warm, moist conditions with hopefully some sunshine, your caterpillar will start growing “hair”.
8. And eventually your caterpillar’s hair will be so long you can cut it!